Be sure to check out my book writing blog, where you
can check out my books and short stories, here:

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

LA Ninja: Revised

As Eminem once said, in real life there is no Mekhi Phifer.  For me, in self-publishing, as it turns out, there is also no Mekhi Phifer, and also no team of editors and publishers.  Personally, I am still a bit conflicted as to how I really feel about that.  It would be nice to have the backing of a publisher, editor, and agent.  I know my work would probably come off more polished, maybe.  Money and notoriety would be nice too, without doubt.  On the other hand though, if my goal were to reach as many readers as possible and find a genuine audience, then it wouldn’t matter if I had the backing of the industry big dogs.  My fan base would be there and they would be all that I need.  Yeah, I’d be pretty happy with that. 

As I’ve said before, my dream would be to see LA Ninja as a movie.  I think it would be awesome!  So that’s my dream, everybody’s got one, right?  I guess deep inside, when it comes down to it, I just hope that people like LA Ninja, and soon, Pumps.  Now that I think about it, I guess I’d just be happy if people didn’t think my work was just complete shit.  However, If people turned out to think my stories were worth dogshit, then I guess I could deal with it.  It would be heartbreaking, but I could deal with it and move on.  That reminds me, Rule of Self: Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

By the way, Pumps has so far turned out to be my best work, in my opinion.  And I’m not trying to be arrogant or overconfident, I am just really proud that I was able to turn a story like that out.  It is totally different from LA Ninja, like big time, but it’s cool.  Not so sure the same audience from LA Ninja is going to like it, but I’m trying to see how much versatility there is inside me.  I also have some other projects in the works that will take me yet in another direction, but I’m not even close to working those ones yet.  I’ve started LA Ninja II: Rise of the Cartel, so that one will be coming out next.

Anyways, after that divergence into left field, the reason I’m writing this puff piece is not to bitch about not being backed by publishers.  Instead, after taking such a big step back from LA Ninja to work on Pumps, I decided to go back to it and give it a read, mostly so I could start LA Ninja II with the first story fresh in my mind.  What I found was appalling.  The beginning chapters flowed slow like molasses.  There were tons of typos and grammatical errors, and lastly, the story was missing one special ingredient that I have since added to my writing repertoire.  So, I got to work on a revision right away.  This is the pitfall of not having an editor.

Not to dwell too long on the matter, I revised LA Ninja and republished it to all e-book publishers.  The final should get to most bookshelves in a day or two.  This, I promise, will be the final.  I’m apologize to my readers for making any changes, which, trust me, the story is unchanged except for one minor addition to the honeymoon scene.  The rest of the changes were done to speed the flow of the story in the first few chapters, cut out some fluff, and fix the shitload of typos that I found. 

Interestingly, I was surprised to see how far I have come and matured as a writer.  I was embarrassed for the beginning of LA Ninja.  The writing seemed so, shall we say, juvenile?  I wonder if I will come back yet again and find what I’m writing now to be juvenile too?  Maybe.  I suppose that is how it goes though. 

Anyhow, I’m trying to get the artwork completed for Pumps.  I think I can have that book up and published by mid-August, which would be great.  I can’t wait to see what everyone thinks of it.  I have a few friends reviewing it now, and they absolutely love it, so I’m pretty excited about it.  In the meantime, LA Ninja II is progressing well.  Things in that story have become super complicated, in a good way.  I’m pretty excited at the direction it’s moving in.  Maybe I can have the first draft done by Christmas. 


It’s funny to think about where I’ve gone with this whole writing thing.  I know when I started this blog, I really thought I would get further with the publishing people.  I thought, at least, that I would get the chance to send in sample pages or a manuscript here or there.  Since, however, none of that ever happened, I just kept moving forward by myself.  I didn’t think that I’d take it this far, not on my own.  I think it’s pretty cool.  I’m out here in the world now, aren’t I?  (he smiles to himself) –signing off, Adrian

No comments:

Post a Comment